"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
- John Muir
Our Patrol Leader Council plans the activities for each camp out!
We always need parents to drive!!
The costs (to cover food and transportation ) of our camping trips are:
$10 backpacking--bring your own food
$20 one night camping
$25 for two nights camping
- What to bring on a camp out depends on what the Troop is doing (backpacking, car camping), what the season is, etc.
- Never wear cotton on backpacking trips
- Remember the Scout motto: "Be Prepared!" Scouts bring rain gear even if it is not forecast to rain. See the "Scout Basic Outdoor Essentials" below
- Consult the Scout Handbook for a basic guide to what to bring hiking and camping.
- Troop Gear: The Troop has cooking gear, stoves, and tents the Scouts may use. Each Patrol plans the meals and brings the food and a "Patrol Box" containing the Patrol camping gear, such as stove, pots and pans, cleanup materials, etc.
- Food: Typically, the Patrol plans their meals for a trip. One Scout per patrol is designated "Grub Master" and will buy the meal the Patrol has planned. For backpacking trips, Scouts bring their own food.
Here are some great resources for what to bring and wear on a camp out:
Our summer camp destination for the Summer 2020 will be Brady Saunders – roughly 30 minutes away in Goochland County. We will be going the 2nd week that Henrico schools are out which will be Sunday June 21 – Saturday June 27. Cost will be $325. Brady Saunders offers a number of merit badges in their new STEM facility, eagle required badges, older scout adventure programs, etc.. in addition to the tremendous food choices we have been accustomed to for the last few years.